TNB Genco SPG Power Plants Bestowed Plant Of the Year Title By US Publication

Tenaga Nasional Berhad wholly owned subsidiary TNB Genco which owns and operates the Southern Power Generation power plants in Pasir Gudang, Johor has been recognised by US based publication, Power Magazine as the ‘Plant of the Year 2021’.

The publication that specialises in legal and regulatory news on the power generation industry awarded the prestigious title to SPG for its efficiency and the affordable energy it generates. According to TNB Genco it is the first-ever power plant to commercially operate General Electric’s 9HA.02 gas turbines model which is the latest and most efficient gas turbines by the company. Commenting on the recognition, Senior Associate Editor Sonal Patel in the magazine’s column praised SPG plants as both delineates a marked advancement for gas turbine technology and integrates it into a larger state-of-the-art system that is equipped to address present and future hurdles anticipated within a rapidly changing power landscape.” “While the plant ensures reliability of a power-hungry region, it also provides affordable power that caters to government-led climate change mitigation efforts.”

Managing Director of TNB Genco, Datuk Nor Azman Mufti said the award signifies another recognition of TNB’s accomplishment in delivering major projects by adopting the most advanced technology to meet the energy requirement of the country. “In all TNB’s power generation projects, we always opt for the most efficient technology available to deliver safe, reliable and sustainable electricity to the end customers. “For SPG, it was made possible through collaborative efforts and support of stakeholders comprising regulators, authorities, projects partners, financiers and contractors.”

SPG’s two (2) 720MW plants are located in Pasir Gudang and have been critical in ensuring uninterrupted power supply continues for the Peninsular. Using natural gas as its primary fuel, the 9HA.02 combined cycle gas turbine units can achieve an efficiency of exceeding 60% to produce electricity. With the global emphasis on energy players to play a bigger role in sustainability, modern day gas powered plants are becoming more efficient and technology is assisting in this progress. TNB has been active towards this adoption and is consciously committed towards a sustainable energy future as well as balancing the need to ensure a reliable power supply.

Both plants are fully operated and maintained by REMACO, a subsidiary of TNB Genco. TNB Genco is a wholly-owned subsidiary of TNB that develops, operates and maintains the latter’s portfolio of power generating units. TNB and its wholly-owned subsidiary TNB Genco own a majority stake of 70 per cent while SIPP Energy Sdn. Bhd. holds the remaining 30 per cent in SPG. SPG supplies power to TNB through a 21-year Power Purchase Agreement (PPA). POWER SPG Unit 1 successfully achieved its commercial operation date on 1 January 2021 while Unit 2 came into stream on 19 February 2021, adding 1,440MW to raise the national electricity
capacity to 26,552.42MW.

Previous articleAPEC Leaders In Unison For Accelerating Economic Recovery
Next articleBusinesses Report Brisk Sales As EMCO Is Lifted


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here