The Ministry of Health today announced that Covid-19 is no longer a Public Health Emergency of International Interest (PHEIC).
Its minister, Dr Zaliha Mustafa, through a statement today, informed the matter following the outcome of the International Health Regulations (IHR) Emergency Committee meeting that took place on May 4 in Geneva.
“This decision takes into account the global trend that shows a decrease in Covid-19 deaths, admissions to hospitals and Intensive Care Units (ICU) as well as the high level of immunity of the world population against the SARS-CoV-2 virus,” she said.
Meanwhile, she said that among the contributors to the results involved accessibility to diagnosis, treatment, and vaccines as well as the monitoring of the SARS-CoV-2 virus variant also showed that it did not cause severe Covid-19 infection.
Previously, the Ministry of Health extended the declaration of local areas of infection from 1 January to 30 June and expects a risk assessment of the Covid-19 infection situation to be carried out in mid-June 2023 to revise the declaration of local areas of infection.
“The Ministry of Health will continue the control and prevention measures of Covid-19 based on the existing protocol and review and update the guidelines of Covid-19 with reference to the statement of the WHO (World Health Organization) regarding the long-term management transition of the Covid-19 pandemic,” she said.
The Ministry of Health is always committed and will continue to monitor the Covid-19 situation at home and abroad in addition to ensuring that health service readiness is in an optimal state to ensure the health and well-being of the people.