The Federal Government has approved RM1.57 billion under the First Rolling Plan of the 13th Malaysia Plan (13MP) to fulfil commitments under the Malaysia Agreement 1963 (MA63) for Sabah’s health sector, Bernama reported.
Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad said the allocation would fund 53 projects, comprising 46 ongoing and seven new projects, as part of the Ministry of Health’s (MOH) efforts to develop high-impact health facilities and meet the healthcare needs of Sabahans.
“Among the new projects are the RM125 million Sabah Heart Centre and the RM81.95 million Sapulut Type 5 Health Clinic in Nabawan, including staff quarters,” he told reporters here today.
Dzulkefly was speaking after co-chairing the first 2026 Sabah Health Development Joint Action Committee meeting with Sabah Women, Health and People’s Wellbeing Minister Datuk Julita Majungki.
MOH secretary-general Datuk Seri Hasnol Zam Zam Ahmad was also present.
On staffing and human resources, Dzulkefly said 607 new positions had been created in Sabah as of Aug 1, comprising 355 positions in the Management and Professional category, including 77 specialist positions and 203 medical, dental and pharmacy officers, as well as 252 Support group positions.
He said the MOH had also set a target of increasing the Sabah Health Department’s annual allocation by 5%, with total funding expected to reach RM4 billion by 2030.
On MA63-related matters in the health sector, Dzulkefly said negotiations through five subcommittees were progressing smoothly, with 33 demands submitted having been examined and discussed jointly to determine the next steps towards implementation.
“The MOH and Sabah Government will focus fully on moving towards comprehensive implementation. Progress in the negotiations and implementation will be monitored through a Balanced Scorecard with key performance indicators agreed by both sides,” he said.
Meanwhile, Dzulkefly said the Federal Government remained committed to addressing grassroots healthcare needs, including hospital facilities across Sabah.
Following visits to three district hospitals in Sabah yesterday, the MOH identified urgent facility needs and approved almost RM4.3 million in immediate funding.
Tambunan Hospital received RM988,000 to upgrade its Emergency Department, repair its canteen and procure medical equipment, while Ranau Hospital was allocated RM1.279 million to address critical facility issues.
Kota Belud Hospital received RM2.01 million to upgrade its Outpatient Unit, improve dental unit equipment and procure a new Mobile X-Ray machine to replace an 18-year-old asset.





