FIFA Turmoil Deepens As Senior Executive Kevin Lamour Exits

FIFA Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour has left the organisation following his public criticism of Gianni Infantino’s proposal to sell a stake in the commercial rights of the World Cup and other tournaments, adding to mounting pressure on the FIFA president ahead of his bid for a fourth term.

ads

FIFA confirmed that Lamour’s working relationship with the organisation ended on Aug 17, after he joined its senior leadership group in November 2024. He had previously been part of Infantino’s inner circle during his successful campaign for the FIFA presidency in 2016.

Lamour publicly opposed the proposed creation of a US$20 billion subsidiary and the sale of up to a 20% stake to private equity investors to raise US$4.2 billion. He said FIFA staff had been “deceived” over the plan and described it as “the project of one person”.

The proposal was withdrawn last month following criticism, including from senior adviser Carlos Cordeiro who resigned over the plan and called it “a bad deal for football”.

The fallout has since raised questions over Infantino’s reelection prospects in March next year. UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation and CONCACAF have called for an independent review of his conduct, while the Scottish Football Association has said it will not support his reelection.

Human rights organisation FairSquare has also asked FIFA’s Governance, Audit and Compliance Committee to rule Infantino ineligible for another term, arguing that FIFA’s rules limit presidents to three terms.

FairSquare director Nicholas McGeehan said the complaint provided “clear evidence that this is a clear breach of the rules” and warned that allowing an exception would set a dangerous precedent.

Infantino has argued that his initial 2016-2019 stint should not count towards the three-term limit because he completed an interrupted mandate.

Reuters

Latest News

Must read